9.02.2012

Picture People

For most of us, our home is a showcase of our decorating tastes, adventures and memories of days gone by that may or may not include family and friends. We often have pictures of celebrations, momentous occasions and/or beautiful scenery we came across during our travels. Up until now I thought this was the norm; that everyone followed this unspoken rule. Nope. Not so. Well, at least this is the case for this one person to which I am referring (pretty sure she may the only person in the entire world who does this). While my friend Holly* (name has been changed to protect identity) does have some pictures of family members and friends she also has an overwhelming number of frames that contain the original picture that was sold with the frame AND the models that were featured in said pictures. I call them her picture people. Even more disturbing, she has them hung on walls and, more often than not, featured under a spotlight of sorts or in a prominent viewing spot. Many of the frames even have some cutesy artistic writing on them featuring words like "family" and "love." Many also still have the writing for the size of the frame and the brand name of the manufacturer who made the frame so you would think there would be no way she'd try and pass these picture people off as relatives and extended family members. You underestimate Holly. Not only does she try and pass them off as family and friends, she has taken the time to name each and every one of them...although she often forgets their names and mixes them up so if you listen too closely you get confused. She also appears to have misidentified the sex of one of the "cousins." I've never been more convinced of this than I was after looking at the picture of the child she calls "Grace" for an extended period of time. At first I thought Grace was just a little mannish but then I realized that Grace-son (get it, Grayson but spelled with Grace and she's a son and not a daughter?!) was really just a little feminish and was actually a boy. I have a picture and will conduct a brief, but highly scientific and accurate, poll after presenting my case.

My Evidence:

1) Grace-son is wearing a boyish snow hat
2) If he isn't a boy, who is the small boy in the other two pictures that I assume the frame-makers were trying to pass off as pictures of him when he was smaller?
3) Grace-son is a boy




I'm quite certain you can now see why she is in fact a he (this news will be most devastating to Todd and Meghan...Grace-son's parents, i.e. the blonde and the handsome man on the left side of the frame). Mike and Carol (a name I'm pretty sure I just made up and Holly went with) will also be crushed...Grace-son's grandparents. Todd's brother, John, and his wife, Laura, are in the middle of the frame with their son, Scott, and daughter, ? (I can't remember her name I'll have to ask Holly for a refresher course of Family Picture People 101). 


Even more ironic is that Holly is an avid photographer. She takes pictures of everything and everyone and yet, well, you know the rest. I guess the silver lining is that she'd be easy to buy gifts for...just get some frame at Target and tell her it's a picture of you and her at a graduation. And another graduation. And in a meadow. And at another graduation.

By the way, the results of the poll are in and the results are pretty much what I expected...





2 comments:

  1. Do I know this "Holly". I think I do and that is a little on the odd side. Maybe she is just a super hero undercover and needs them to throw you off the scent of her turquoise cape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you guys give "Holly" a break. Perhaps she is just so busy and hasn't had time to replace the pictures? I, for one, think it's cute that she's incorporated them into her life and calls them by name.

    ReplyDelete